- You establish and cement your reputation as an expert in your field
- You attract more clients, allowing you to grow your business more quickly & easily
- You can often raise your prices as demand for your services grows
- You can be more selective about the clients you work with, choosing only the ones that really excite you
- You get offered more speaking opportunities
- You leave a legacy, a permanent mark of your life and career
- You get to share your ideas with a broad audience
Perhaps publishing a book with your name on it is even a bucket-list project that would make you feel proud and accomplished. And why not? It truly is an achievement.
But you have to do it the right way. An amateur effort will not support your business the way you want it to. In fact, a terrible book can do the opposite and tarnish your reputation.
So what’s the right way?
You definitely need content that’s well researched, written and edited. And you need a cover with an effective and attention-grabbing design. Those components are obvious.
But it’s also the little things that count. Things like having a barcode and a proper index. Things like knowing that a foreword is never written by the author.
Seth Godin explains why messing up even small details hurts: “The inadvertent skipping of what we expect causes you to frustrate us, or to appear as an uncaring, unprepared amateur, or both.”
Read on for resources that will help you publish your book the right way.
The basics of publishing a book that grows your business
Here are four of my best articles for learning the basics of a successful book project.
- Why a Book Is the Ultimate in Content Marketing
How a book creates barriers to entry for your competitors while generating business results for you.
- How Do You Measure Book Publishing Success?
Before you start writing, it’s important to think about what you hope to accomplish with your book. How will you define and measure your success? Your answers might change your approach.
- 7 Book Industry Secrets Every Self-Published Author Should Know
If you’re going to self-publish successfully, you’ll need to go in with your eyes open. Here are 7 things to know before you start.
- What Seth Godin Can Teach Us About Book Publishing
Seth Godin is the author of 17 bestselling titles and his commentary on the book publishing industry is some of the sharpest I’ve read. Here’s how to tear a page from his playbook.
And there’s more to come.
So make sure you enter your email address and sign up for fresh Clear Prose insights as they’re published.