Consider these podcasting facts:
- Last summer, Apple announced it had logged its one billionth podcast subscription.
- More than a quarter of American Internet users now download or listen to podcasts, up from 7% in 2006. (Pew Research Center)
- Podcast listeners tend to be more highly educated and more affluent than the general population. (Pew Research Center)
- The number of listeners who access podcasts by mobile device is now higher than the number who download a podcast from their desktop computer. (Next/Market)
- There are 7 billion mobile devices in use around the world. (Cisco)
- Drive time is prime podcast listening time. 97 million Americans drive to work alone in their car every day. The average commute is just over 26 minutes. (via CrazyEgg)
- 23% of existing podcast listeners play digital audio in their car almost every day. (Edison Research and Arbitron)
- Only 6% of marketers are using podcasts as a way of sharing content. (Social Media Examiner)
Put the facts together and what do you have? A clear sign that podcast popularity is growing, podcast listeners are a desirable audience and there’s currently a huge opportunity for content marketers to make an audio splash.
Says marketing consultant Chris Brogan, “I think what’s coming [for podcasting] is companies realizing they can make interesting things happen. … It’s a pretty open space right now because companies aren’t rushing in and figuring it out.”
I’m launching a Clear Prose podcast about book publishing later this year. What are your podcast plans for 2014?